Saturday, March 19, 2011

Katelyn's Artistic Prowess

Yesterday, Kate spent a lot of time coloring. I mean a TON of time. She was silent for like, 30 minutes. It was completely unheard of. When she finally talked to me, it was to ask me to help her remember all her friends in her class. Clearly, this was an odd question. So when I approached the table to clarify her meaning, she showed me this... Katelyn: This is all my friends playing at school. My teachers are in the picture too. They are watching us run around the playground. I don't know if I drew all my friends.

Then she started pointing to the kids wearing green and stating the names of children in her class.

Mommy: Well, let's count them and see. You have 16 kids in your class.

After counting, I stated that there were 27 people in the picture, but she only had 16 kids in her class and two teachers, so she had too many people in her picture.

Katelyn: No, Mommy. (Implied: Don't be an idiot Mommy.) The kids wearing green are the Monkeys (her class), and here are my teachers (the taller ones), and the other kids are the Frogs (the other PreK class). They are naked.

Hmmm....and I keep telling everyone what a great preschool Kate goes to...
It reminded me of another drawing done by another child a few years back. Interesting how the development of how to draw people seems to be the same among children.

1 comment:

Susan said...

It is a super thoughtful pic. I love looking at these- it fun to see what's in their heads. Did she ever explain why they were naked?