Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Daughter, the Rock Star

A few weeks ago, our church had an open mic night at our local coffee shop (the church happens to own the coffee shop, but shhhhhhh...). Anyways, one of the kids ministry staff members had the awesome idea of having a kids open mic before the grown-up event. Padyn and Kate had decided that they were going to sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with Miss Wendy. Well, in the end, Kate and Miss Wendy sang it. Kate didn't get stage fright like her sister did.

Now I'm not bragging, but my daughter brought down the house. She was, in my opinion (and others that I have spoken to), the best act of the night. There she was, in her almost 2 and 1/2 year old glory, up in front of a packed-out room. She knew exactly what to do. She grabbed that microphone and told everyone that she would be singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider." She told them 3 times, just so they didn't miss it. Then, clearly and loudly, she sang it, with the hand motions, into the microphone. While Miss Wendy helped make sure she didn't fall of the stool and that she remembered all the motions, Padyn stood behind, wanting to be up front, but not in the lime-light. (That pretty much describes the difference between my daughters-one is the performer and one wants to be, but is too shy to take the risk.) And there was Kate. The star.

Somewhere it is on video. Someday I will show it to you. But for now, you can try to visualize with these pictures that I shot with my friend's camera (because it didn't even occur to me to bring mine.)

This is my favorite, where she's grabbing the mic and looking right at the camera. And there's Padyn, hiding behind Wendy.

Maybe I should read more into it when Kate says, "Let's ROCK AND ROLL!" (which she does, with surprising regularity.)

No comments: