Wednesday, December 08, 2010

True Story

Padyn has been bugging me lately about the tooth fairy. When she lost her sixth tooth this weekend, she again asked me about the reality of the tooth fairy's existence. I pushed her question off and told her we would talk about it when Kate was not around.

Today she had her chance. Just she and I were in the car when she said, "Mommy, tell me about the tooth fairy."

Not looking forward to this conversation (it's never fun to shatter your child's views on reality), I asked, "Tell you what?"

"Is the tooth fairy real?"

"What do you think, honey?"

"I think you are the tooth fairy."

"Sometimes I am. Is there anyone else that can be the tooth fairy?"

"Daddy."

"Yes. Sometimes Daddy is the tooth fairy. Anyone else?"

"I don't know."

"Well, every parent is the tooth fairy sometimes."

Thinking we had cleared this up, and one small part of my daughter's childhood existence was now shattered, I as quite surprised by her next question. Wait for it...

"Mommy, how do you get so small?"

Ah. Innocence safe for another day.

No comments: