Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years later...

I've been thinking all day about what to post today, the 10th anniversary of September 11th. It's a day that personally changed our lives, though not as drastically or painfully as it changed many others. Memories are clear, but words are difficult to come by. My prayers are always the same on this day...peace and comfort for those who lost loved ones, wisdom for our leaders, safety for our men and women in uniform, continual healing and unity for our nation. But to speak of the day, or look at images from 10 years ago...that's pretty challenging. I still choke up just thinking about it.

So, I think I will just extend my thanks to two groups of people I saw today, each helping others remember this day but in very different ways...

Thank you, flag waver in the East Bay on the crossing over 680. Thank you for marking the day for those who may have forgotten what should always cause reflection.

And thank you protesters in the Valley on the crossing over 80. Thank you and your mean-spirited sign for reminding us that this great country we live in is still a place where you are allowed to voice your opinion. Even when it is a hurtful kick in the stomach to everyone who lost someone 10 years ago. Even when it disparages the very land you call home.

Never forget.

2 comments:

Susan said...

There were protesters protesting 911?

The Captain said...

Thanks for a timely, thoughtful comment on 9/11. I agree with you completely.We are so blessed to live in this country with even with its dissidents. I have come back several times to see Robbie asleep in his Car Bed. You have beautiful, entertaining children just like you.