Saturday, June 03, 2006

Bob and Larry Save the Day!

well, the morning, anyway...

We've been having trouble with Padyn getting up really early in the mornings ever since she has been able to get out of bed herself. I know that 6am is not really early to many people, but to us nursing mothers who are still getting up during the wee morning hours to feed our little ones, it's darn early. We wouldn't mind if she was playing quietly in her room until, say 7:30, but she isn't. She's getting up, playing, then shouting, "Mommy, Daddy, I awake now!"

I should back up and let you know we ended up putting one of those knob cover thingos on her doorknob so she can't get out of her room. At least we don't have her at our bedside at 6am. How horrible would that be every morning at 6am.

So, anyway, in an attempt to curb the getting up so early, we decided to try a trick my friend Stacy used with her 2 year old. We put a CD player alarm clock in her room and told her she couldn't get out of bed until she heard the music. We set it for 7am. Over and over, all day long yesterday, I told her, "Remember, don't get out of bed until you hear Bob and Larry. STAY IN BED until the music comes on." I had her repeating it. I would ask her, "When can you get out of bed and play with your toys?" (Most of the time she said, "I don't know." But I knew she really did.)

This morning? Not a word from her until 7am. Then, 7:02, knocking on her door, yelling, "Mommy, Daddy! The music is on! The music is on!"

Perfect. Thank you Bob and Larry's Sunday Morning Songs.

3 comments:

Double A's Mom said...

What a great idea! I'm going to file that one away to be used when Aaron gets a big boy bed!

Erin said...

That is a great idea! I think I might be browsing the CD alarm clocks tonight at Target...

Cozy Mom said...

Wow, she actually did it. I can't wait to see it if works tomorrow too. And don't forget to bring it to grandma's house next week.