Friday, August 18, 2006

Almost Like LA

There was a lot of action over our house today. A sight we had yet to behold. A minimum of 4 news helicopters hovering above our house and neighborhood for a couple hours this evening. They were responding to this.

It was really creepy at first. It's never a good thing when one helicopter is hovering nearby, let alone 4. I had visions of escaped convicts, 20 car pile-ups on the freeway, and tragic train/car collisions. Padyn wanted to stay outside and watch them, but I wasn't willing to be outside of locked doors until I knew what was happening. When I found out it was a 4 alarm fire in a condo complex a couple blocks away, I felt a bit better about letting her go outside and gawk at the whirly birds. Seriously, right over our house. I wish I had a picture, but it wouldn't have captured it well.

Daddy got home while we were still outside craning our necks to see the helicopters. He and Padyn walked down to the fire to check out the firetrucks. Padyn thought that was pretty cool. Although, it is a bit morbid to have your two year old entertained by someone else's devastation. I think Joel explained enough to her that she knew it wasn't a fun time. She had questions about the smoke and what everyone was doing. Not an easy job to not terrify your child as you are trying to give her enough information so she can somewhat understand the severity of the situation.

It's a bit overwhelming and unsettling to have your neighborhood captured on video by helicopter. This is what it must feel like to live in certain areas of LA. I'm glad this doesn't occur in my neighborhood everyday, or even once a year. It had a very surreal quality to it that I don't care to experience often.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

What a strange position for Joel to be in with Padyn. Fire trucks are so cool and fascinating, but the reason they were there wasn't. It's such a balancing act, isn't it? But I am sure he did fine. If anyone could handle that, it's Joel.