Monday, August 21, 2006

Can She Really Do That?

This was the question I was asking myself this morning after I overheard Padyn singing a song we had just been listening to. I expect her to sing the songs she hears all the time-"Jesus Loves Me," anything VeggieTale, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." I don't expect her to bust out with my songs.

We had been listening to "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" by The Counting Crows (one of my absolute favorites) on my NEW iPod that Joel got me for our anniversary. (Our anniversary isn't until Wednesday, but since we celebrated yesterday, I got my gift early. I LOVE it! Thanks again, love.) We each had an earpiece in our ear (understand that these earpieces are from the same set of headphones-then picture that I'm trying to get dressed, brush my teeth, and change Katelyn while attached to my three foot toddler.) It ended and I put the iPod down to finish getting Kate dressed and Padyn starts singing in the completely tone deaf way little kids do, "Mrs. Robin, Mrs. Robin, Mrs. Robin." Ok, so she got the name wrong, but she was still trying to sing what she just heard. That's new. And shocking. And makes me really want to be extra careful about what we listen to.

We listened to it again tonight while she was getting ready for the bath. When it was over, she very clearly sang, "Mrs. Potter, talk to me." Then, she said that Daddy was singing,too. (Daddy was downstairs doing the dishes.) I said that Daddy was singing a different song. She said, "The apartment?" Why, yes. He was singing "The Old Apartment" by Barenaked Ladies (another all time fave.)

At least she is picking up on my favorites. Maybe instead of waking up to Bob and Larry's Sunday Morning Songs, I should burn her a disc of all my favorites and have her listen to that every morning. Although, if I heard them as much as I hear the Sunday Morning Songs, they might not be my favorites anymore.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh my gosh, I totally realized today that Coley was singing one of my songs, too, and that it really is smart to be careful what we listen to around her!