Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Comparison at Six and Seven Months

So, one big difference I noticed between the girls and their brother is they smiled a whole lot more for the camera than he does. It not that he doesn't smile or isn't as happy a kid. He does and he is. And I swear...I take almost as many pictures of him as I did of the girls. He's just as cute and adorable and makes me think, "I gotta get a picture of that!" But when I pull out the camera, he turns into Mr. Serious. Maybe it's the flash. I didn't have this particular flash on my camera with the girls. Well, whatever it is, you'll have to compare mostly smiles pics of Robbie's two sisters to his not-so-smiley ones.
For viewing purposes, it will always be Padyn on the top, Kate in the middle, and Robbie on the bottom. Just like in real life...

By 7 months all the kids were sitting up. I think Kate was totally stable and on her own while Padyn and Robbie still need(ed) the support of a pillow around them to ensure their little heads didn't knock on the floor when they inevitably fell over. Heck, Kate was crawling by 7 months. I had forgotten that. Crawling, climbing, holding herself up on the coffee table...much more of a mover, that one. All three were/are very happy babies. They loved to giggle, grab Mommy's hair, and try to launch out of my arms to reach for something. Padyn probably laughed the least, but that makes sense...she had the least to laugh out. Lucky Robbie has two whirlwinds who are more than happy to show off their latest modern dance moves or operatic singing voices. My favorite giggle, though, is when I tickle his neck. That will put a smile on your face no matter your mood.

The girls loved playing in the down comforter on my bed. I haven't even thought to get a picture of Robbie doing this. I should. I did it for the girls' seven month comparison.

Robbie spends much more time in his bouncy saucer than anywhere else. It's safe, secure, and easier for him to see the action. When I put him on the floor, I have to stay nearby to ensure Kate doesn't try to "accidentally" put something in his mouth. Oh, don't underestimate her. She's tried to feed him toys while he's in his saucer, too. It's just that I have a better visual on the situation and can usually intervene before anyone does something that would result in a punishment.With the side profile, we see some distinct differences. Padyn had that spiky hair already and those chubby cheeks. Kate had (and still has) that pronounced chin that seems to have bypassed both her siblings. And Robbie? Well, I think he's a pretty good combination of the other two. He got Kate's rounder head and Padyn's (and Mommy's) lack of chin. I think they might all have the same nose...it's hard to tell in these shots. I think their eyes are different, too...


Eye Exhibit B...


One of the most drastic differences between Robert and his sisters is in the food/eating category. Padyn happily ate baby food until she was about 8 months. At that point she decided the mushy stuff wasn't for her anymore and she wanted real food. Finding non-groundup food was a bit challenging. I remember many dinners of refried beans and avocado.
While she might look happy about eating in this picture, Katelyn really wasn't into solids. I think it was mainly because of her sensitive gag reflex. She really didn't want food until she discovered peaches and prunes. Then eventually cheese and yogurt. To this day, she doesn't eat nearly as well as Padyn did or does. Apparently you can live on snack food and diary items.
Robbie loves eating. While his sisters were barely eating 2 solid feedings a day, he puts away 3 HUGE meals, plus his 5 or 6 liquid feedings. My understanding is that this is typically a boy trait. Hopefully he will hold onto his willingness to eat food from all the food groups and not go the way of his sister.Aren't they so cute? It's great for me to look back at old pictures of the girls and compare notes. I should do a comparison photo of Padyn and Kate at 3 1/2. But not today. I have dinner to make now. Dinner that only one of my kids will probably eat...

No comments: