Saturday, July 22, 2006

Big Sister is Listening

Today I stopped at a garage sale on the way home from breakfast. It was mostly full of toys, so Joel wisely stayed in the car with the girls while I jumped out for a quick browse. I bought Padyn a cute little pink backpack so that she can start shlepping her own drinks and snacks around when we go out.

When I returned to the car, I didn't really want her to notice the backpack because I was going to save it for when I needed her to be more excited about it. I kept it low on my body so she wouldn't see and said in what I thought was a quiet voice to Daddy, "I bought her this backpack so she can carry her own drink and snacks around."

At the next garage sale, I jumped out again. After having purchased some nice table linens, I got back in the car and Joel said, "You have to be careful what you say."

Apparently when I hopped out of the car, Padyn proceeded to tell Daddy all about the new backpack I bought her.

"Mommy got me a new backpack to carry my drink and books when I go to school. "

Who knew 2 year olds had such good ears?

I guess the moral to that story is if Padyn isn't moving her own mouth, she's listening to every word you say. And comprehending it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I know exactly what you mean. We spell many words around this house. We're outta luck when she learns to spell.