Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Can You Hear Me Barking?

I love the fact that I can have full conversations with Padyn now. I totally take it for granted until I'm with friends whose children are not as verbally sophisticated as Padyn. (I'm not bragging...just stating a fact). I would be thoroughly frustrated if my conversations with Padyn were still at the one to three word level.

What really cracks me up, though, is when Padyn has pretend conversations. With herself, Kate, the phone, her pacis...whatever. Yesterday, I was involved in a pretend conversation with her that went something like this:

Setting: Mommy sitting on the couch, nursing Kate, trying to read a month's worth of comics on the laptop. Padyn sitting next to Mommy with Mommy's cell phone in hand. Daddy is currently on his way home having just phoned minutes before to let us know.

Shouting into the phone:Daddy? DADDY? Can you hear me Daddy? Daddy? I can't hear you, Daddy. Daddy, where are you?

Covering the phone with one hand while leaning over Mommy to get in Kate's face: Excuse me, Kate. Be quiet. I'm on the phone.

Back to the cell: Daddy? I can't hear you, Daddy.

Mommy, here, talk to Daddy.

Kate, be quiet. I'm on the phone.

Hmmm...I wonder what Padyn often hears while I'm on the phone.

No comments: