Saturday, December 30, 2006

Time Flies When it's "Vacation"

Is it Saturday night again? Already? Where did this week go? Was Christmas really 6 days ago? And 2007 is really in 2 days?

It's funny, this past week. Being a stay at home mom, the weeks are really all the same now. As are the weekends (especially if Joel isn't home). Usually weeks around holidays when I normally would have been off from teaching are so normal, so ordinary, they can be slightly depressing. Not much breaks my months anymore. There really aren't too many ways you can mix up feeding babies, dressing babies, napping babies, playing with babies, grocery shopping, cleaning, and doing it all again the next day. But this week I got a sense of it being a holiday again. It was wonderful. Padyn was off of school, I didn't tutor, we didn't have playgroup or Tuesday night at church or bible study. I wasn't scheduled and I could go where we wanted, when we wanted. We could stay home all morning for Kate to take 2 good naps. Padyn could play leisurely with her toys without us having to rush off somewhere else in five minutes. I could sit down and play a game with Padyn. I feel like that never happens. What do I do with my time?

While I still didn't exactly feel like I was on vacation (because, really, how can you feel that way with two small children that need your constant attention and supervision?), I did experience that special feeling where you know something is somehow different and you really want it to last but it is over way too quickly. It's a glimpse into what life will be like a in few years when the girls are in school full time. This week between Christmas and New Years will once again be special. I will once again look forward to it.

It's nice to have a glimpse into the future once in a while. It makes that waiting that much more tolerable.

No comments: