Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Kate's Maturing Palette

I haven't written much about Kate's dietary issues because, well, I was just hoping it would all eventually fall into place and the girl would eat baby food and table food like a, well, regular baby. I really wasn't surprised when at her first introduction to solids at 6 months of age, she didn't want it. Padyn was never a fan of rice cereal either, so it wasn't a big shocker. What was a shocker was the fact that it took her a MONTH to actually swallow food of any kind. You remember the pictures from when she finally ate and seemed to enjoy prunes. There's been more since, but the only thing I can get her to eat consistently is sweet potatoes. Mind you, not homemade ones. She refuses to touch those. Really. She clamps her mouth shut and turns her face away from me. They must be out of a jar. And she seems to prefer the Gerber Stage 2 Sweet Potatoes to the Earth's Best Sweet Potatoes. Why? No clue. Same ingredients. Both organic. So now, everything gets mixed with sweet potatoes. Apples & Plums with Sweet Potatoes. Pears with Sweet Potatoes. Roasted Turkey Dinner with Sweet Potatoes. The only things she'll eat without the help of sweet potatoes is banana (jarred) and yogurt (introduced to her last week.)

Then there's been the table food issue. This child seems to have an extraordinarily sensitive gag reflex because if she puts anything bigger than a quartered Cheerio in her mouth she gags. Then chokes. Then vomits EVERYTHING that she's previously eaten. I've just gotten used to the fact that her highchair will always smell of puke. No, not fun, but what can you do? I've scrubbed and scrubbed, but it's hiding somewhere that I can't get to. Anyway, that's only if she'll put table food in her mouth, which she won't unless it's Cheerios or Saltine crackers. Pasta? No. Bread? Forget about it. Banana? I'll take mine for a jar, thank you.

But today we had a break through. I decided it was time to try cereal again. This time I used oatmeal, which she had previously turned her nose up at. I mixed in a little formula and some baby food banana. And she ate it. Willingly. Many many spoonfuls. I was so proud. Not that this is a turning point or anything. We still have to get past the gagging issue. But still. One step at a time.

5 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so glad you're having more luck with baby food with Katelyn. We're not so I've pretty much given up. She's eating whatever we eat (or at least tries it).

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh, my friend! You KNOW my heart is with you. I remember those days very vividly. Maybe it's because it's been 3 1/2 years and I still have them.

I'm so glad you had some luck today. That really is cause for celebration!
Break out the wine!

threeforme said...

That wasn't really puking. That was more spit-up.

Cozy Mom said...

My opinion, that you did not ask for, but will get because you can't stop me is this.... STOP with the table food. She doesn't need it, and she wastes all that food she did manage to get down when she pukes. Not to mention the stinky high chair issue. Really I promise just keep the solids away till she is one! She will be fine and you won't have to keep washing everything.

threeforme said...

Yes, but the cheerios are such a good diversion when I'm making dinner. And she doesn't puke much anymore because they are so darn small.