Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Drama Queen

I realized I haven't written much about Miss Padyn lately. That could be because she is not changing as rapidly as Katelyn. It could be because lately I find myself impatient with her and her crying/tantrum/whiney drama most of the time (my shortcoming, not hers). But whatever the reason, it's time to remedy that. I don't really have a single funny story, but I can share some things she's been doing lately that make me smile.
  • She's into lip-syncing. She calls it "sing lip." She tells me to "sing lip" to Bob and Larry while we are in the car.
  • She's starting to understand landmarks. When we are on our way home from my dad's house, she'll ask me what is going to come next. What she is really waiting for are the firetrucks (we live near a fire station). The other night driving home she asked me what was next. I told her the big road called El Camino. She replied, "Then it will be the firetrucks." And she was right.
  • She understands praise and she's patient with younger children. Her little friend Baby Gan was over yesterday. He's only 15 months. He was playing with her by continually closing the toy chest she was opening for him. Instead of getting angry, she repeatedly opened it for him. Every time she opened it she would say,"See, Baby Gan. You do this. Good job Baby Gan!" She also likes to tell me good job, too.
  • She wants to cook. She always pulls her chair over to the counter so she can "help" me cook. I let her pour the ingredients into the bowl, but she isn't so hot stirring yet.
  • She knows she's growing. She knows food helps you grow. She always says that seeds make her grow bigger and bigger. She says she can feel herself growing bigger and bigger.
  • She knows the words to a number of songs now and will sing them randomly. Today she was singing some song she must have learned at school. Something about Roll Over Rover. I'm not sure what it is, but it's fun to hear her sing uninhibited.
  • She still loves reading. A few days ago she wanted to take a nap a little earlier than usual. After we read the story, she wanted me to leave the light on so she could keep reading. Normally I would have said no, but because it was so earlier, I told her she could and that I would come back in 10 minutes to turn out the light. Of course I forgot. Forty five minutes later when I finally went back in, she was asleep with the book still propped up on her stomach.
  • She constantly assures me that "I feel better, Mommy." Good thing, since I never knew she felt badly.
  • She loves preschool. She can't really tell me all she does there, but she is always thrilled to be going.
  • She's processing Christianity. She asks daily questions about where Jesus is, who is the Son of God, who's God...heavy stuff. I couldn't be happier with any other questions.

It's nice to remind myself that she's a pretty cool kid.

2 comments:

Double A's Mom said...

Between hearing about what Padyn and Coley are doing, you guys are making me so look forward to that age. They crack me up with what comes out of their mouths! And my heart melted when I read that Padyn fell asleep with a book on her chest! That is so awesome. I really hope Aaron likes books as much as Padyn does.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

She'd rather sing-lip than actually sing? That is HILARIOUS! Coley's never sing-lipped before. Maybe Padyn can teach her.

I think she's brilliant. And yes, reminders are good.