Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why Must She Cry?

I decided that this is the week Katelyn is going to learn to fall asleep on her own. She isn't so good at it unless she is in the car or is being nursed before bed. Usually I rock her until she goes to sleep. The few times I've tried to leave her on her own, she has just cried and cried and cried. The other day, for her third nap, she cried for an hour before I gave up and nursed her. Mind you, I don't let her scream for an hour alone. I go in every 5-10 minutes and give her back her pacifier. She instantly calms down until she sees that I am leaving her there and walking out the door. Then the crying begins again. When I let her go longer, say 20 minutes, it's the same. I keep thinking she'll wear herself out. It just doesn't seem to be happening.

So this afternoon I tried again, as it is my goal for the week. Didn't happen. After 30 minutes I gave up and rocked her. She eventually fell asleep and I put her down. Then she woke up AGAIN 10 minutes later. I tried her swaddled, not swaddled, on her stomach, rubbed her head, and her back...nothing. After an hour I gave up and nursed her since it had been 2 1/2 hours since she had eaten and I didn't want her to only sleep for 30 minutes and then wake up hungry. She, of course, finally fell asleep on the boob and has yet to wake up. It's been an hour.

Correction, she just woke up. Not long enough of a nap, little missy. Not after your 25 minutes this morning.

If you see me at the end of the week and I have no hair left, it's because I have pulled it all out in frustration.

No comments: