Sunday, January 21, 2007

Just Hoping to Make it Through the Night

I was going to post the pictures from Hawaii and write a little about it tonight once I got the girls to bed, but it isn’t going to happen. Besides the fact that I have 488 pictures to sort through and decide which ones I really want on Flickr (those ones with my boobs hanging unattractively out of my bikini top? Not for public consumption, thank you very much), I’m having trouble getting Padyn to go to bed. I’m not trying to make excuses. Really I’m not. I’m actually totally beside myself about Padyn. She’s never been the child that doesn’t want to go to bed. She’s the sick kid who asks to go to bed. No complaining. No tears. No tantrums.

But not tonight. Tonight we have tears galore and terrible sobbing. She claims to be scared and she wants her daddy. Hard to do when Daddy is working this weekend on base. I finally just put her in my bed. She’s probably still awake and it’s past 9pm. I don’t know what to do. Last night she was up for an hour between 3 and 4 am crying about being scared. The same thing was happening before we went to Hawaii and during our first week there. She seems to be having nightmares. She told me tonight she didn’t want to go to sleep because she didn’t want to dream. It doesn’t feel like an act. She seems genuinely afraid. Any ideas out there?

Interestingly enough, one solution might be the one that seems the most illogical-put her in the same room as Kate. Really, during our stay on Oahu we were in a little two bedroom cabin and we had the girls stay in the same room. It worked out beautifully. Padyn only woke up one of the 6 nights, and even then she went immediately back to sleep when I went in. She seemed to find comfort being in the same room as Kate. She told Grandma yesterday that she wouldn’t be scared if she slept in the same room as Kate. Plus there was the bonus that she entertained Katelyn in the morning for like 40 minutes before we had to go in there. Of course, she woke Kate up, but I’ll allow that if it gives me another 30 minutes in bed every morning.

We’re still thinking that one over. I’ll keep you posted. Wish me luck tonight sleeping with my squirmy 3 year old. I’m already exhausted so I best to go bed now in order to maximize the actual sleeping time.

5 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Did you get any sleep? I hope so.

Coley hasn't said much about dreams yet, but I remember when Abbie went through a bad dream spell. Gena said it was awful. And there's nothing you can do.

If putting them in the same room helps, I say go for it. Maybe Padyn will wake up Kate earlier in the mornings, but it might be worth it. Sleep is worth it!

threeforme said...

No. I didn't get much sleep last night. Padyn did. But she tossed and turned so much that when I finally did get to sleep, I was woken up with a knee or fist in my stomach or face. Then Kate decided to wake up to eat TWICE last night. URGH! I just put Padyn down, so hopefully she's settled for the night. I think it will help when Joel is home tomorrow, too.

McReynolds Family said...

Liam has been waking up for about a month off and on now in the middle of the nights and staying up late. I have resorted to no nap or allowing him to stay up later with daddy. He wakes up 3-4 times per week crying or walking into our room saying he does not want to sleep in his bed. Maybe it is just a phase? Not sure, but moms don't like to deal with this after our kids were good sleepers, huh?

threeforme said...

I know! If they weren't good sleepers to begin with, then it wouldn't be as traumatic, would it? We'd already know how to handle it because we would have had practice.

I'd do away with the nap. Earlier bedtime. Think of how much more time you'll have in the evenings to yourselves. Well, until Emery is born, anyway.

PRETTYDOG VINEYARD...KAZZ said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/04_april/26/tearaways7.shtml
FORGET SUPER NANNY (SUPER STUPID REALLY) & CHECK OUT 'TINY TEARAWAYS'...NO NAUGHTY CORNERS OR STICKS...JUST SOUND PROFESSIONAL ADVICE...I REALLY LIKED THE EPISODE ABOUT MUM MICHELLE & SONS ROSS & MATTHEW...LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK