Monday, July 23, 2007

"The Best Little Road Race in California"

We did it! Joel and I both ran the entire 6 miles of the Wharf to Wharf on Sunday. It was great! 15,000 people (plus all the "bandits" who were unregistered), a bunch of crazy bands, lots of hoses being sprayed by the people who live along the route, and plenty of California sunshine made for a really enjoyable race. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Well, until the last mile, anyway. Thank God the end was downhill because the last mile was the only time I started to feel like I might not make it. But we did! Hurrah!

We are very proud of ourselves, even if our knees and hip flexors aren't terribly happy with us today. Actually, I feel OK, but Joel is hurting a bit. He claims he has never run over 2 miles before, so I can see how his knees would be mad at him. Our time of 1 hr 6 minutes was decent considering the first mile took us 14.5 minutes. Once we passed the 2nd mile, we were able to keep a more steady pace of a 10 minute mile, but before that, it was just too crowded. I think it took us at least 3 minutes just to cross the starting line. I was surprised by how crowded it was the entire race. I was picturing everyone being more spread out by mile 2, but we were pretty packed in there up until the end. Next year I may try to start farther up just to get a more accurate time.

So now I'm thinking about what to do next. I was interested in doing the Danskin Women's Triathlon, but there are none by me this year. I like that it's only women and it's a sprint, so the distances are totally doable. There's a bunch of 5K and 10K races around our area, I just don't know anything about them. I'm really not interested in doing a 1/2 marathon or anything. I like my knees and don't want to wear them out at a young age. This looks fun (and messy), but I already missed the one in our area. Maybe next year now that I know about it.

So, I'll keep looking for something to keep me motivated to work out. It's been great having a tangible goal. I'd like to keep that up. Anyone want to join me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY ARLENE & JOEL...CONGRATULATIONS...I'M VERY PROUD OF BOTH OF YOU...I WILL PASS THE INFO ALONG TO MISS MEL...NOW BEING INSPIRED I WILL TAKE ZEBBI & ZOE FOR THEIR DAILY WALK WHICH HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE I CAN HOME DUE TO THE DREADED LURGY BUT TODAY SUN IS SHINING & IT'S 16 DEGREES...NOT BAD FOR A WINTER DAY...KAZZ

Shawna Barlette said...

What an awesome accomplishment Arlene! Great time too. When Ramesh and I did it, I think it took longer to cross the start line, and like you, we were surprised how crowded it was for how long. Give yourself kudo's. Well done. If you liked W2W, you'll love triathlon! (wink wink from an Ironman triathlete....)

Erin said...

Woohoo! Congratulations to both of you.

Now, on a non-related note, how did you get that picture in your header? Because I've tried to do that and the picture size is way off. Can you learn me? Please?

Anonymous said...

Good on ya my dear!! I'm totally impressed you found time to train for this while raising two such fantastic daughters. By the way, I totally copied you and added a photo to my header. I just need to find a cool water one like you did. :)