Thursday, October 18, 2007

Working For Peanuts

You'll never believe this. I was able to get Kate to try vegetables tonight. Real ones! Cauliflower and broccoli! And she swallowed most of it!

How did I do this, you ask? What amazing mommy skillz did I pull out to accomplish this amazing feat?

Peanuts. Yes....peanuts. Kate can't get enough of them. And if she ate something I wanted her to eat, she got a peanut. First, I did it with the chicken. I was thought she would eat the chicken anyway, since she did it last week a couple times. But, tonight it was chicken from my orange stir-fry, so I wasn't extremely confident. But man, when I whipped out those peanuts and gave her a half peanut after each bite of chicken, she quickly got the idea. If I eat what the crazy lady is trying to stick in my mouth, then I'll get a small nugget of salty crunchy goodness.

I gave it a go for the veggies. It was not as successful as the chicken, I admit, but she still willingly put vegetables in her mouth. After a few bites she flat out refused more of the tree-like things, so I offered her the veggie and the peanut together. She put down a few more bites this way, but it didn't last long. Soon she was done with the veggies. But still! Vegetables!

I think this was also the first night she has ever actually eaten rice.

These peanuts are some heavy magic. Gotta get me another bag of 'em.

1 comment:

Ro said...

Congrats on the food progress. We're still in the middle of it, too. Caitlin is just loving roasted red bell pepper lately. She's not my picky eater (most of the time). I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who give my kids nuts. Peanuts and roasted almonds are huge on the list these days! We just give half at a time, and they have to be chewed up and gone before then next. one comes along