Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Shaking Things Up A Bit

If you don't live in northern California, you might not have heard about the 5.6 earthquake we experienced at 8pm last night. Really, at 5.6, it was not significant. Nothing fell. Nothing broke. We didn't even get under a table or doorway. It was long, but just a bit shaky is all. No big deal.

Except for Padyn. It was the first earthquake in her known experience.

She did pretty well. We were all sitting on her bed going through our bedtime routine. We had just finished stories and were praying when the room began to move. I started to react and Joel wisely (and non verbally) told me to chill. So the four of us just sat there and rode it out.

But despite our relatively calm reaction, Padyn was not fooled. I wouldn't say she was freaked out, but it did take some convincing and praying to get her to go to bed. She was very concerned that the ground would begin to shake again. In fact, she was up a couple times last night, and I'm sure it was a direct reaction to the quake. But it could have been worse. We could have had complete freak-out-melt-down-refuse-to-be-calmed-down kid, which we didn't. All things considered, she handled it well.

Oh, and Kate? Didn't notice at all. Absolutely no reaction.

The first thing she said to me this morning was, "God didn't make the ground shake again last night!"

The best part of the entire experience is the phone call I received from Owen's Mommy at 8:15. She was calling on behalf of Owen, who had just returned from our church's harvest carnival where he had been dressed up as a superhero. Owen wanted his Mommy to let me know that what we experienced was not an earthquake. It was just him flying around. His super powers made the ground shake.

Good thing. I might have started thinking too hard about plate tectonics if I hadn't been informed. I must remember to tell Padyn that it wasn't really an earthquake. It was just Owen. She'll feel much better.

2 comments:

Erin said...

There would've been some freaking out and full-on tantrums if we had been there. And Callie would've been upset, too. I'm so glad Padyn did okay. Like you said, it could've been a whole lot worse. And I like her friend's explanation of the earthquake. That's a smart boy right there.

Ro said...

If we were still there, Brandon would have a million questions about the earthquake. Today, tomorrow, and probably for a few more years. My younger brother and sister were 4 and 2 when the 1989 earthquake hit. They had a lot of questions afterwards. Maybe that's where Brandon gets it. He and Padyn are similar, so I expect you'll get questions for a while!