Thursday, March 22, 2007

At Least She Knows...

The 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month we go to story hour at our local coffee shop. The shop happens to be owned by our church, and the story hour is run by a few people that work for the church. At the story hour 2 weeks ago, I helped out since one of the people who usually does it was out of town. I helped lead the singing and read a few books. Padyn was not particularly happy with this arrangement. I think she prefers for me to sit in the back and sip my cappuccino while she sits criss-cross applesauce in front of her beloved Miss Wendy, absorbing story after story. Well, last time, whenever I stood up to lead the songs, Padyn would cling to my legs, tell me she wanted up, or hide behind my legs and refuse to sing. It's not the easiest way to sing "Wheels on the Bus" and "If You're Happy and You Know It," but I managed.

Flash to yesterday. Kate woke up sick, so I put her back down for a nap and one of my friends came over and picked up Padyn to take her to story hour. In the car on the way over, Kendra was talking to Padyn and her son, Gan. She said, "Aren't you excited? We're going to story hour. Won't that be fun?"

Padyn says, "I didn't like the singing last week."

"Why not?"

"Because I was being annoying."

She may need a little help differentiating why questions from what or how questions, but she certainly got that one right.

No comments: