Thursday, November 01, 2007

1 of 30

Today is the official start of NaBloPoMo. What does that mean? That means I have joined thousands of other bloggers in the insane quest to post every day for the month of November. Really, this is a good thing for you, right? Every day you can come over here and check out what's new in our neck of the woods. There should be plenty for me to write about...Bella is here for the week, we've got parent teacher conferences coming up, there are two birthdays happening in our house in November, and of course, that holiday at the end of the month. Should be plenty of fodder to cover each day.

So, let's start with the last two nights. Four costumes (and that's just between my two children), a carnival, and a pack of preschoolers terrorizing our neighbors to collect candy. It was a pretty good time.

Halloween started on Tuesday night in our house. We got into our costumes and headed to church for our annual "Fallapolloza" (Harvest Carnival thingo). Hot dogs, nachos, too much candy, and lots of little games perfect for the girls...fabulous.

The girls were lions on Tuesday night. Padyn borrowed Owen's costume from last year and Kate wore a costume I bought for her last year, but set aside because it was too big at the time. Unfortunately, this year it was a bit small. I made her wear it anyway since it was so dang cute. Padyn's fit fine except for the hood. I don't know if it was too short or too small, but either way, she looked like her mane was receding all night. Still...cute. I enjoyed hanging with my pride.
Surprisingly, Kate LOVED her mane. She kept it on most of the night.Padyn practicing her putting. Papa would have been proud.

I think Kate is practicing her roar. Daddy looks impressed, doesn't he?

On the way home, Padyn informed me that she was not going to be a lion anymore. She wanted to be a fairy for Halloween instead. Fortunately, we had another night of dressing up, so a fairy it was. We also decided to switch Kate to a ladybug. The lion was cute, but by the end of the night, the bottom of her pants was to her knees. It was as if it shrunk during the evening. Weird.

So, Halloween night. Bella and her family arrived from Southern California just in time for dinner and trick or treating around our neighborhood. We were joined by Danielle and Tali (and their mommy) and Owen (and his mommy) as we found all the neighbors who were giving away candy.

Last year we only hit a few houses on Halloween, so this year was a new experience for the girls. I don't think I prepped them enough on Trick or Treating etiquette. You see, they kept trying to go into people's houses. Fortunately, it wasn't just my kids. Owen would walk right in when someone opened their door. I guess we'll have to have a little chat next year that includes reminding them not to invade the neighbors' homes.

Funny, when we got home from our hour of candy gathering, there was a little group on our doorstep. I made them wait for a minute while I went to find more candy. I went into the kitchen to get more, and when I turned around, there was a little girl who did not belong to me or any of my friends standing in my kitchen. Apparently entering people's homes in order to get candy is a common disorder in preschoolers.

Padyn (fairy), Bella (Princess Genevieve) and Danielle (super cute kitty) ready to hit the night.

The only time she'd wear her ladybug hood was during the 2.3 seconds right after I put it on. Fortunately, I got one picture of it.

Padyn told me today on the way home from school that she wanted to go trick or treating again. Sorry, kiddo. Next year. But, you probably have enough candy to last until then. That is, if Mommy doesn't eat it all first.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Happy NaBloPoMo!! I too am participating!! I look forward to reading all the posts!! Feel free to head on over to mine and check it out too!! You are on my blogroll. I hope that's ok!!!

Oh and your girls are precious!! I love the line you wrote about hanging with your pride!! Very cute play on words because I know your girls ARE your pride and joy!!

Anyhoo!! Happy Writing!!

Erin said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did a Halloween recap for their first post! I love the costumes. I wish I could've gotten a pic of Avery in her puppy costume. At least you got pics of your girls in theirs.