Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A Peak Inside Her Mind


I think it's best if I just attempt to regurgitate the dialogue rather than give you a summary.

I was still in bed reading when Padyn came in to show me her picture Monday morning. So first...she must have done this in about 15 minutes since it hadn't been that long since she was allowed out of her room. But it's her explanation of it that makes me unsure if I should be proud or concerned...

P: Mommy, this is you and me with crowns. You are walking the boy dog and I am walking the girl dog with babies inside. I have the bigger crown 'cause I'm bigger.
And here's a girl and a boy. And here's the sun.

M: Oh, Padyn. It's lovely. You drew such a nice picture. Tell me more about it. So we have crowns. Why do we have crowns?

P: Because we're the princesses who have dogs. And we have a castle.

M: OK. So I have the boy dog and you have the girl dog? Why does the girl dog have a crown?

P: She has a crown because she eats a special dinner.

Trust me. It makes just as much sense to me as it does to you. And don't ask me what the girl and boy lying on the beach blanket are doing in the picture or why my dog looks like a tick on a leash. I didn't ask and she didn't explain. But what I want to know is, where does she come up with this stuff? And why is she so fascinated with babies in mommies' tummies lately? I am certainly not modeling that for her...

3 comments:

Erin said...

I think the babies-in-mommies'-tummies goes with the age. Callie does the same thing and has been for a while now. It's funny to see her drawings of a person with another little person inside the big person's tummy. Callie still talks about when I was pregnant with Avery; maybe that's where P is getting it from... (?)

Susan said...

So if I am interpreting the picture correctly.... if I come for a visit and wear a crown, then I get a special dinner?

Ro said...

Man, and I thought the boy and girl on the beach blanket were the babies in the mommy dog's tummy! My little sister, who is almost 17 years younger than me, use to ask me me if I had a baby in my tummy - for years! I was a college student, and use to get funny looks in the store. I think it's an age thing, too. Brandon asks about it, but not as much as girls do.