Thursday, February 08, 2007

Padyn's Update

I think I promised to write an update concerning Padyn a month or so ago and just never got around to it. It's not that I like Kate more or that she has more things happening. I think it's the fact that Padyn's accomplishments, idiosyncrasies and progressions are more subtle and less noticeable than say, a new tooth or sleeping 10 versus 7 hours. But she is growing, changing, and maturing on a regular basis. It's just not always as noticeable as Kate's. Here's some things I've noticed lately...

*Le Toilet
I realized the other day that Padyn is almost completely potty trained. Almost a year ago we made the switch to underwear versus diapers during the day and haven't looked back since. She still wears a pull-up during her nap and a diaper at night, but otherwise she's totally on her own now. After her nap, her diaper is usually dry. She doesn't usually tell me anymore when she has to go potty. She just tells me that she's pooped so I can help her wipe. Oh, and she usually remembers to ask me to turn the water on to wash her hands. She still gets an M&M every time she poops on the potty, but I know one day soon she won't need that anymore, either.

But there is a downside to this mastering the potty thing. She wants to go potty every time we are out. Every.Time. Not necessarily because she has to go. No, no. Because she wants to check out the bathroom. Apparently bathrooms are very interesting. Oh, and she is totally concerned/fascinated with automatically flushing toilets. She always asks when we go into a public restroom if the toilet is automatic. For a while, she wouldn't even get on it if it flushed itself. (There was this one traumatic experience with an automatic flushing toilet early on in our potty training days that she was scarred from.) Now she'll get on it, but I have to cover up the sensor while she's peeing so it won't flush when she's on there. I wonder when she'll understand that no matter how loud it is (she covers her ears when the toilet flushes) or how wet her butt gets, that she will not be sucked into the vortex of water if she still happens to be sitting on the seat when the toilet flushes.

*TV Viewing
Padyn only watches a small small handful of TV shows these days. "Curious George," "Clifford," and "Dragon Tales." All are on PBS in the morning and correspond well to our getting-ready-to-get-out-of-the-house time. She can watch the same episodes again and again. And again. (Which is good because those PBS shows are constantly repeated). She also uses them as bargaining tools. "Mommy, I get to watch one more George and then I eat breakfast." I, too, use them as bargaining tools. "If you don't _________ (probably something that I've asked her to do 3 times already), you will not get to watch George this afternoon." It works.

And now, her favorite video is the old, animated "Charlotte's Web." (Thanks so much M&M. She hasn't stopped watching it since you left.) She asks to watch it morning, noon and night, but she can't say Charlotte. It comes out sounding a bit like "Arlette's Eb." I do enjoy that movie, but not every day. I remember watching it when I was young, but I always get upset when Charlotte dies. We had to talk for a long time about Charlotte dying...not a subject I was ready to tackle with my 3 year old. She seems somewhat ok with it. When she asked me why Charlotte died I told her she had grown old and it was her time to go. But yesterday morning she told me she didn't want her or me or Daddy to die. This is what I was afraid of. I tried to reassure her that that wouldn't happen for a long long long time and she didn't need to worry about it. Maybe not the best thing, but she's only 3.

*Fine Motor Skills
Padyn loves her some scissors. She pulls her chair over to the counter to climb up and open the drawer I keep them in. This, of course, is a big no-no, but it doesn't usually stop her. She wants to CUT HER LINES! She takes binder paper and cuts amazingly straight lines with it. Then she sticks them to her table with stickers. She gets very upset when they rip and demands that they be repaired.

I discovered recently that she can trace things on paper. Not well, mind you, but draw a continuous line around an object nonetheless. This must be a skill practiced at school because I never have her trace anything.

*Gross Motor Skills
All of a sudden, Padyn can jump. And jump well. I'm not sure when or how this happened. Maybe she's been talking to this girl. All I know is one day she could just jump on the bed and the next she could jump over a line on the ground and land with two feet together. She can also walk assisted on those parking birms as if they are balance beams. There are a series of them on the playground outside her classroom at school. Every time we walk to the car after I pick her up she must walk on them. She finally tried it today by herself. She didn't get very far before she fell off, but I'm impressed that she tried it without holding my hand.

*Reading
She can recognize her name as well as Kate, Mommy and Daddy. She can't spell anything but her name, but she can usually tell you what letter starts those names, as well as some other words. She recognizes all the letters of the alphabet and can mostly tell you all the sounds they make.

*Making Connections
Finally, I'll leave you with a story that demonstrates just how well the wheels are turning in that little blond head of hers.

Last week Kate had to go to the doctor to follow-up about her first ear infection. Dr. A had been sick for a few days that week and I had to call the office in the morning on our way to school before our appointment to make sure she was going to be in that day. Padyn, as usual, asked me who I was calling and why. I told her I was calling to she if Dr. A was still sick. She was silent back there in her car seat for a few minutes then she said,"Did Dr. A go see a doctor? Doctors make you feel better."

"I don't know. Maybe. And you're right. Doctors can help us feel better when we are sick."

A few more seconds of contemplation...
"Did Dr. A see her friends who are doctors? In her office?"

"I don't know, honey."

"Dr. A is a doctor."

"Yup."

A few more seconds of pondering...
"Dr. A could make herself feel better!"

"Yes, she probably could."

No comments: