Monday, October 16, 2006

Really? Again? So Soon?

On Saturday night, Padyn threw up. While she was being babysat. While we were at a wedding. In a different town. At a friend's house...

We got the call just as we were sitting down to dinner. Fortunately, we were just 5 minutes away, so I went and Joel stayed. I figured if it was serious, someone could bring him home. Well, when Padyn threw up again after I had been there for 15 minutes, I sent the sitter to go get Joel. I wasn't going to be home with a pukey baby by myself. Not again. After a 3rd upchuck, she finally fell asleep. She had no fever and we really didn't know if it was something she ate or if she was really sick. We knew we had to wait and see.

Well, on Saturday, all looked good. Padyn was asking for food, eating and drinking mostly normally, and acting happy and chipper. We thought-great! It's over. But I waited. I knew I had to give it 24 hours.

And at 24 hours and 30 minutes? She threw up again. This time it was in our driveway. Thank God she held it until we drove into the driveway. At least it was only once this time. But still, no fever. We kept her up for another hour to be sure, but at 9pm, it was time for bed.

And today? Today I feel like I'm reliving our stomach flu episode from last March. No throwing up (yet) but she went back to bed at 8am for a nap, she lay on the couch all morning watching PBS, and she fell asleep on the couch at 11:30am. She claims to "feel better" but she is certainly not her normal self. She still has no fever and she is asking to eat, which I take as good signs, but I was fooled by that yesterday. Right now she is lying on the couch with her pacifiers in her mouth, surrounded by most of her books. I'd take a picture, but I think she's been tortured enough.

I have a few worries still. Will this develop into diarrhea like last time? How do I know if she's better enough to go to school? Will we still go on our vacation that we're supposed to leave for this Wednesday? What do I do if Kate gets this? How many more handwashings can my dry, chapped hands take before they fall off? When will it all end?

3 comments:

Ro said...

I'm so sorry. Brandon went through that, too, and it's miserable. I recommend Nivea Creme for the hands. And wine for your sanity...lots of wine...

threeforme said...

I like wine...

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm so sorry about the sickness hitting you guys AGAIN! That's awful, poor Padyn.

Count me in on the wine, though.