Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Random Facts

I don't really have anything to blog about today, but I feel like I've started a trend as I have posted something everyday since last Thursday, and I am compelled to continue. So, in the spirit of my friend, Erin, here's some bullets about today.

  • Padyn's school was visited by the local fire department today. Her school doesn't go on field trip outings; they have the field trips come to the school. When I asked Padyn what the fireman said, she replied, "When the smoke is up high, crawl down low." I asked if he said anything else. "No."

  • It seemed to me that every other kid in her class was leaving school today with some sort of construction paper fireman's hat, and when I asked Padyn if she had made one she simply said, "No." No explanation as to why she didn't do what everyone else did, but ok. At least she doesn't feel pressured to conform just because everyone else is.

  • Speaking of school, the first couple days she was literally crying over the fact that her teachers from last year were no longer her teachers. It was heartbreaking to listen to. She wasn't putting on an act. She was genuinely broken up over this. Today was the first day she didn't tell me she wanted Mrs. D and Mrs. L to be her teachers. Hopefully this is a sign that she likes her current teachers.

  • Padyn's been collecting acorns at school. It must be a girl thing. Today she came home with a bag full of them. There were others in the car that she collected last week.

  • Now Kate does it. When we picked Padyn up today, Kate lay down on the pavement to reach an acorn that had fallen under the gate. She already knows the word, "Acorn." Padyn probably didn't know that word until last week.

  • Kate went to gymnastics again today. She loved it just as much as she always does. I had to pull her out of the room when it was time to leave. Her favorite part of the time is playing with the balls. Like we don't have those at home...

  • My kitchen floor is disgustingly dirty, but I don't feel like mopping it. It will have to wait until Thursday since I'm working tomorrow.

  • I'm working tomorrow. I'm giving a training for an assessment that I think is fabulous. I haven't given this training in a while, so I'm hoping I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

  • I had Padyn bury her acorns that she has been collecting at school in our front yard today were they took out our dead tree. She thinks they will grow into a big tree...like, soon.

  • Padyn was really excited for Owen to come over and play this afternoon. Once he got here, she spent most of the time sitting on the couch, pretending to read and ignoring him. He did everything to get her attention short of hitting her over the head. It was amazing to see the battle of the sexes played out by 3 year olds.

  • I had a board meeting tonight at BCM. Have I ever told you about that organization? Well, I volunteer as an elementary tutor there and I'm on the board of directors. Actually, I just became the board chair. How a 32 year old woman with no experience in the business world becomes chair of a highly respectable non-profit is beyond me, but there you go. So, it was my first meeting as chair. I think it went well. I wasn't as terrified as I thought.

  • I signed up for Facebook last week because my friends from Australia whom I love invited me to be their friends. I have no idea what Facebook is exactly, but my picture is up. I don't like that my last name is on there, but what can you do?

  • I'm getting excited about the upcoming weekend. Some of my girlfriends from Davis are getting together in Bodega Bay. (Not the same group that I went to Hawaii with. I have a lot of great friends from college.) I'm coordinating meals. I'm not doing a very good job of it.

  • It's fall here. Is it where you live, too?

  • My sister and baby Trevor are home. Everyone seems to be doing well. Bella loves her baby brother. I'll post a picture as soon as I get sent one.

That's all. Hopefully, we'll see you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Padyn can come to our house and collect the acorns in our backyard with Callie. I've found a couple in our house, even.

Ro said...

Brandon's been collecting acorns for years now. Guess it's a boy thing. They go bad if you leave them in the house/car for too long. Good thing you buried them outside!

Congrats on the BCM meeting. You talked about that before I moved, and now it has happened! I'm glad you weren't terrified, and I hope that continues. You'll do great. The business world is full of educated, unqualified people attempting to do work. However, some people just get it, and can do the job. You're one of those people. BCM is lucky to have someone as responsible as you leading things up.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...fall...now there's a concept. Does a 1/2 degree drop in temperature and the arrival of monsoon rains count? We had a brief taste of fall in Italy and I reveled in every second of it. The change in seasons, and the arrival of fall in particular, is something I really miss living in the tropics.

Congrats on being board chair!! Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. :)

Anonymous said...

KAZZ SAID....YOU KNOW I REALLY, REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO THE 'KID STUFF'...I JUST LURVE THE LITTLIES...SPECIALLY THE ONES I'VE MET & WHETHER OR NOT I SEE THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS DOESN'T MATTER...BUT WHAT MAKES ME REALLY PROUD IS THE NOW "BIGGIES I'VE KNOWN SINCE THEY WERE LITTLIES"...COMPARED TO ME THAT IS...MY HOW THEY'VE GROWN INTO WONDERFUL ADULTS...ARLENE...WHAT A WONDERFUL WOMAN, WIFE & MUM YOU ARE...I AM VERY PROUD TO HAVE YOU & YOUR FAMILY IN MY LITTLE CORNER OF THE WORLD XOXOXOX