Sunday, September 09, 2007

When I'm Four...

This is what Padyn says when she doesn't want to do something that she knows she probably should be doing. "I'll do it when I'm four, Mommy." Like, "I'll wear underwear to bed when I'm four." Or, "I'll be able to take off my shirt [by myself]when I'm four."

Little does she know that "four" is rapidly approaching. Yesterday J and I discussed writing down all the things she says and presenting them to her on her fourth birthday. "Here you go! You're four now! You must do all these things! See, you said you would!" Can you just see how that would go over? I think something like..."OK, when I'm FIVE I'll do it." That, or hysterical tears.

Well, trying to write them down is realistic. Everyone should get as much entertainment out of our children as we do. I think I also better keep track of what she says about when she's grown up. Almost daily she is telling us what she wants to be when she grows up. Or what she will have, like a baby. (That was our conversation while doing hair this morning. As always, I told her that when she was OLD and MARRIED she can have a baby. We'll see if it works.)

A couple days ago she came to me all droopy and depressed, like her heart had been completely shattered. "Mommy, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!" That's OK, sweetie. Neither does Mommy or Daddy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tell Padyn I REALLY don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Gross Anatomy pretty much makes your life a nightmare that is going by too fast to absorb all of the information and too slow to know it will end anytime soon. So...tell Ms. Padyn I'm thinking about becoming a flower delivery person. :-)

Erin said...

Yeah, Callie tried to pull that "When I'm four" stuff. Didn't work. She didn't want her shots until "she was four". And then when she did turn four, guess what? All courage was lost.

Ro said...

Hey - I had kids when I was old and married! Oh, wait. I was just married. It was only after having kids that I started to feel old!