Friday, November 30, 2007

Hallelujah! We Have a Diagnosis!

We went back to the clinic today. Our pediatrician called this morning and wanted to see Katelyn again. She must not have been happy that Kate wasn't walking yet either, because she convinced the on-call orthopedist to see her. It was quite fortuitous how it all happened. At the end of our visit with the pediatrician, Dr. A , she said she would try to get him to see her and I said I was going to call other clinics to see if anyone else would see her, and we agreed we would be in contact later in the day. As I was about to pull the car out of the parking space and go home to make a million phone calls, my cell phone rang. It was Dr. A. Good news! The on-call doc will squeeze her in now! Yippee!

So, after a not-too-long wait (you expect long when being squeezed, right?), Dr. F took a look at her. He poked and prodded, twisted and pulled. We made her stand and tried to make her walk, but she just stood there crying. He poked and prodded some more, then went to re-check her x-rays. He came back, poked yet again and declared that she had either a bone bruise or a slight crack in her shin bone. Actually, he was quite certain it was a crack. He thought he could make it out on the x-ray, but it's so hard to tell with baby bones.

It's on the inside of her leg, right in the middle between her foot and knee. That confirmed the suspicion I developed this morning as I watched her crawl around and play with her foot, but yelp when I pulled that leg up to change her diaper. I had thought all week it was her foot, but I realize this morning it could very well be her shin bone. (what is the name of that bone, anyway?)

The good news-both the doc and I are comfortable leaving it uncasted. She isn't walking on it, so chances of her injuring herself further are slim-ish. She's certainly feeling better and more active today, so it isn't making her miserable. And to me, a cast, even only up to her knee, just seems miserable.

We go back in a week, unless of course, she gets worse or seems to regress in her healing.

And me? Even though I know now that it's probably a fracture, I feel SO MUCH BETTER.

But, unfortunately, this does mean I have to cancel gymnastics for the next couple weeks. Better go make that phone call right now before I forget.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Yay that you know what it is now, so sorry that it is what it is. I hope she's up and running soon. Or at least standing without crying.

Shawna Barlette said...

It's the tibia. I'm so happy you hooked up with the ortho doc. Hopefully, there will be an uneventful recovery. We'll be thinking good healing thoughts for her. Happy holidays!

Angie said...

Poor little girl! Glad to hear it's finally been figured out. Hopefully she heals quickly!

Susan said...

I am sure that it will be nice to have a definite place to check on. She'll be back up in no time. It's amazing how the body just sort of knows how to protect itself even in a little kid.