Thursday, November 15, 2007

Budding Belief System

Padyn and I were having the following conversation in the car on our way to her birthday dinner at PF Changs last night. This was completely prompted by her...

P: Mommy, you should pray or read your bible every night.

M: Yes. That's always a good idea.

P: You need to pray or read your bible every night, Mommy. Do you know what will happen if you don't?

M: (now thinking, where is this going and how am I going to explain that we don't believe in a salvation by works doctrine to a 4 year old) Ummm...what happens?

P: You need to read your bible or pray every night so you don't shrink. That's why I pray every night...so I don't shrink. I want to grow bigger and bigger.

M: (somewhat relieved, yet not quite sure how to respond) Ummmm...really? You shrink? Oh look...here we are at the restaurant!

Maybe I need to have a follow up conversation with her...

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

That's from..."Read your Bible, Pray Everyday, Pray Everyday, Pray Everyday. Read Your Bible, Pray Everyday and you'll GROW, GROW, GROW......BUT...........Forget your Bible, Neglect to Pray and you'll SHRINK, SHRINK, SHRINK..."

It's an old 5 Day Club song for kids...accompanying motions are growing like a flower and shrinking down to the ground...kids are SO literal!

I can sing it for you sometime!! hee hee

threeforme said...

I think you do need to sing it to me sometime. I've never heard that one.

But now this conversation makes a TON more sense to me.

Anonymous said...

SO, THIS IS TOMORROW CALLING...DEAR P&K'S MOMMY WE HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY WITH YOUR LOVELY FAMILY & ALL YOUR WONDERFUL FRIENDS...REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR DAILY POSTS OF THOSE LOVELY LITTLE GIRLS XOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

OOPS....FORGOT TO IDENTIFY OURSELVES...WE'LL BE PRETTYDOG VINEYARD HUNTER VALLEY AUSTRALIA XOXOOX