Monday, November 05, 2007

Standard Time is Not for Parents

Since having kids, I dread this time of the fall...

I didn't used to. I used to LOVE when daylight savings ended. You got that extra hour of sleep on the night itself. What a treat. And I really enjoyed when it got dark earlier. Cooler nights help you remember that winter is on its way, bringing with it Christmas time. I SO looked forward to that, especially when I was teaching. Probably because it meant there was a break on its way. A much needed break.

Now, though, I can't get as excited about this time of year as in the past. First, being dark by 6pm hurts our afternoon. When the kids don't wake up from their naps until 4pm, that doesn't leave much time to get out and be active in the afternoons. Especially when Miss Padyn is super cranky and needs at least 30 minutes to recover in front of the TV from an especially difficult awakening.

But the dark early thing I can deal better with than the waking earlier thing. That extra hour? Those girls had NO IDEA they are supposed to sleep an extra hour last Saturday night. And now, instead of being awake at 6:45am (which is too early for me anyway), the are awake at friggin' 5:45am.

Actually, I shouldn't complain too much. I may get cranky and mutter some words of irritation, but I can usually go back to sleep for a bit while my girls yap away in the next room. Joel is not so lucky. Once he wakes up, it is really hard for him to go back to sleep. Poor guy. These mornings really stink for him.

So, either we need to try to get to bed earlier (we were in bed by 9:30 last night-quite a record) or I need to wait patiently while my kids adjust to the time change.

Or, maybe I just need to do both.

2 comments:

Ro said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I still do like daylight savings time, but the love is gone. Brandon's fine-he adjusts well. Caitlin was up early, though. Today was better. Not up until just before 7:00. The grandparents are coming in a few days, so that will throw some exhaustion and late nights into the mix. Maybe by then end of next weekend we'll be back to normal.

Erin said...

My girls were up early too, even after having gone to bed later than normal! We had to wait around to leave for church Sunday morning and then Monday morning we had to wait around to take Callie to school. But today we were back to normal: late.