Monday, November 13, 2006

Alison Krauss and Union Station

Joel managed to find last minute tickets to the Alison Krauss concert last night in San Francisco. (Gotta love Craigslist.) If you don't know Alison Krauss, or don't think you like bluegrass, you are really missing out. Just try it. I swear you will like it. If you appreciate true musicians, you will love it.

I've been to many many concerts. Everything from U2 to The Ramones. I don't think I've been to one where the quality of the music was as good. Vocally, Alison is amazing. The things she can make her voice blow my mind. Even I recognize the skill and strength it must take to make her voice perform the way she wants. And musically, the band is phenomenal. It helps that they've been playing together for many many years. Some 15, 8, 17...when you work that long together what you get is near perfection. They have songs of substance that immediately evoke emotion. They have created things that people think that cuts right to the heart of what I'm feeling.

But it wasn't just that the music was excellent that made the concert so memorable. They are a great group of people. All of them were charming, funny, and in no way arrogant. It seemed like they really enjoyed each others company and playing together was so much fun. The weren't afraid to poke fun at themselves or act silly on stage. Alison loved talking in silly voices and impersonating people. Who does that in concert?

I'd have to say seeing Alison Krauss and Union Station is right up there with seeing hugely famous musicians live. It may have been the very best show I've been to. It definitely ranks with U2, whom we manage to see every tour. I think we'll be adding AKUS to our "must not miss" list.

2 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

That sounds great. It's always so great to see such quality musicians. She's got SUCH beautiful voice. I'd be so enthralled to see her.

Double A's Mom said...

I'm so excited someone besides me likes country music! I'm a big George Strait fan myself.