Saturday, November 11, 2006

Really Not Sure This Time

I'm in need of a little advice from you, my loving internet community. You are full of wisdom, experience, and advice. I know you'll come through for me. You always do. I could probably figure this one out on my own, but why, when I have you to ask?

It's about the pacifiers. Padyn's beloved pacis. You see, she turns three next Tuesday. And in my mind, three was always the cut off for the pacis. Pacis must go bye-bye at three. Dr. N, Padyn's unofficial dentist (unofficial because Padyn's never actually been to see her in the office) said they had to be gone by three. Three seems a good time. Preschool, big girl, potty trained...it just makes sense that these should be next. And really, I thought by now she would have decided she didn't want them anymore. But she hasn't. She loves them.

And I SOOOOOO don't want to take them away.

One--because they are just too easy. She loves the pacifiers. They are her lovies. She doesn't have a blankie or special stuffed animal that she's latched onto (although lately she's really into one of her duckies). They instantly calm her. She goes to bed without a fuss because she knows she can have her pacis there. Once her pacis are in her mouth and hand (one goes in the mouth and the other gets rubbed on her nose) there is no more crying and gnashing of teeth. There's no more tantrums and whining. There's peace. And contentment. And sleeping.

Two--because I'm afraid of what the next few weeks would be like. I'm a bit lazy and the thought of living with an extra super whiney three year old does not sound appealing.

And Three--because I just don't really know how to take them away. Paci party? Paci fairy? Pacis going to needy children in Africa? Throwing them out the car window?

I've been talking up THREE lately. Three is when you are a BIG GIRL. And big girls don't need pacis. Only babies need pacis. You'll be a big girl and you can go to sleep without them. You have your duckie. He'll help you go to sleep. Sometimes I get her to agree with me and sometimes she says she wants to be a baby.

Is it really that important for her to not have them anymore? Is it too much of a crutch? Is it harmful? I can see if she got them all the time and was walking around the grocery store with them that it would be time to call it quits. But for the most part, she only gets them when she goes to bed. And they fall out of her mouth when she goes to sleep. I'd really like to give her the opportunity to decide it's time to get rid of them rather than me deciding for her. Eventually she'll decide she doesn't need them anymore, right?

And maybe she'll just go off to college with them.

8 comments:

Ro said...

When Brandon was 2 1/2, Brian and I started talking to him about the day that he'd give up his paci's. And, when he did, he would get James (a toy train from the Thomas collection). We even visited James at Toys R' Us. A few weeks later Brandon decided all on his own to give up his pacifiers. He even told Brian the night before that he was giving up his pacifiers tomorrow (news to me, but okay...). The next day, after naps, he decided it was time. He put them all in plastic bag, and he threw them out in the big trash can outside. Immediately we got in the car and went to Toys R' Us. It was a rough couple of weeks without the paci's, though. He even offered to give up James a couple of times to get his paci's back. It was hard, but we just kept telling ourselves it will only get harder if we don't get him to do it now. I still firmly belive that. Good luck!

Ro said...

A good friend of mine once told me that her mantra during the time she was trying to get her 3 year old to give up the pacifiers was "he won't have them in college." Don't give up!

PRETTYDOG VINEYARD...KAZZ said...

PACIS...AS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW, IN OZ WE CALL THEM DUMMIES...SOME OF THE BRIGHTEST KIDS I KNOW HAD DUMMIES....SOME OF THE 'DUMMIES' TURNED OUT OK TOO...SO MAYBE MY LITTLE FRIEND PADYN COULD SEND THEM TO 'FINDLEFLICK' AND IN RETURN SHE COULD SEND SOMETHING TO PADYN...PERHAPS A COUSIN FAIRY...OR MAYBE YOU COULD GET HER TO DECONSTRUCT THEM AND THEN RECONSTRUCT THEM...OF COURSE MOMMY & DADDY WOULD HAVE TO LOSE A PIECE HERE & THERE...OBVIOUSLY THEY WOULD THEN BE OF NO USE TO ANYONE...I WOULD DEFINITELY KEEP HER FAVOURITE...GET HER TO WRAP IT UP BEAUTIFULLY & PUT IT SOMEWHERE FOR SAFEKEEPING...THEN SHE CAN UNWRAP IT ON HER 18TH BIRTHDAY & TAKE IT TO COLLEGE!!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm extremely interested in this conversation. I was pretty set on getting rid of them at 3, too. But then C's third birthday was FIVE months ago and she still has hers. I'm terribly ashamed to admit that! She's the same as P, ONLY using it to fall asleep and then it falls out of her mouth almost immediately. But I haven't wanted to fight that fight quite yet. It's bad enough when I can't find the one particular paci she wants. When the kid fights for a certain paci, that's a sure sign that the pacis should go!

I have an idea, though, which we can discuss. I love Rochelle's idea of picking a favorite longed-for toy. Coley would totally go for that, I think. She's been wanting this Fairy Dora or some such poke-my-eye-out crap for a while. I love that idea of "visiting" the toy at the store and talking up the day she gives up her paci and then going to get it on a certain day immediately following ditching the pacis.

Here's my proposal: we could do it together. Let's choose a day, say, Nov 28 (randomly chosen off the top of my head) and set toy-visiting days in between now and then and go through this together. It would make great NaBloPoMo fodder AND we wouldn't have to go through it alone.

Let me know what you think.

L

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Please ignore the TIME at which I am posting these comments.

Couldn't sleep.

Angie said...

Aidan was almost 3 when we got rid of the paci. He was just basically carrying it around with him and using it for sleep, as you have all said your kids do.

Anyway, we cut a slit in the end and he immediately rejected it as "broken" since there no longer was suction. It took a good amount of time for him to reject it, then stick it in his mouth, then reject it again. Each time we said "I'm sorry it's broken. That's your ONLY paci." Eventually HE threw it away. We felt it was important for him to be the one rejecting it.

Now, Connor is MUCH more addicted, so we might need an additionaly strategy. I, too do not want to listen to whining - I already have to fight him to bed.

Suggestions: paci fairy, new stuffed animal to sleep with instead, new toy.

Good luck!!

Cozy Mom said...

I'm confused...are you afraid she will take the paci's to college or that she won't go because she had a mom who wouldn't take away the paci? The way I see it if she goes to college you did half your job as a mom well so don't worry.
No matter what you decide the first step might be decreasing the number in her bed from 5 to 2..but slowly b/c she'll notice.

threeforme said...

No, she's down to two in her bed.

I'm thinking of "losing" one.

I'm worried she will take them with her to college. Won't that be fun for her to explain to her new roommates.